Welcome to Database Patch News, Buda Consulting’s newsletter of current patch information for Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server. Here you’ll find information recently made available on patches—including security patches—and desupported versions.
Why should you care about patching vulnerabilities and bugs? Two big reasons:
- Unpatched systems are a top cyberattack target. Patch releases literally advertise vulnerabilities to the hacker community. The longer you wait to patch, the greater your security risk.
- Along with running a supported database version, applying the latest patches ensures that you can get support from the vendor in case of an issue. Patching also helps eliminate downtime and lost productivity associated with bugs.
Bugs and vulnerabilities exist in all aspects of an application. Here is a list of some of the bugs fixed in this current cycle of patches:
- Bug 26910536 – memory leak in clsnsg_dnssd_get_domain() (Doc ID 26910536.8)
- Bug 30609048 – srvctl start database or sqlplus startup discovers wrong spfile (Doc ID 30609048.8)
- Bug 28790623 – ASM is Not Started Automatically, After GI Upgrade from 11204 to 12201 (Doc ID 28790623.8)
- Bug 30816230 – ohasd.bin Does Not Respawn after Killing “ohasd.bin” (Doc ID 30816230.8)
- Bug 31074907 – Windows running 20c grid and 19c database might give prct-1128 : acfs is not supported on this operating system (Doc ID 31074907.8)
- Bug 27416177 – OCSSD Coredump at clssnmvkillblockthread (Doc ID 27416177.8)
- Bug 31775363 – GIPC Memory Corruption when Running under Valgrind (Doc ID 31775363.8)
- Bug 31849609 – GIPC Memory Leak When Running under Valgrind (Doc ID 31849609.8)
Here are the latest patch updates for Oracle and SQL Server:
Oracle Quarterly Patch Updates as of April 2022:
21c – Release Update 21.6 is available (33859395 (GI/DB) & 33810177(JDK))
19c – Release Update 19.15 is available (33803476 (GI/DB) and 33808367 (OJVM))
18c – Release Update 18.17 is available (33582710 (GI/DB) and 33549631 (OJVM))
12cR2 – Release Update JAN 2022 is available (33583921 (GI/DB) and 33561275 (OJVM))
Regular support ends in Mar 2023 and extended support ends in Mar 2026.
12cR1 – Release Update 220118 is available (33829718 (GI/DB) and 33808385 (OJVM))
Regular support ended in July 2019 and extended support ends in July 2021.
11gR4 – Patch Set Update 201020 is available (31720776)
Regular support ended in October 2018 and extended support ended on December 31, 2020.
SQL Server Patches:
SQL Server 2019
Cumulative update 16 (Latest build) Released April 18, 2022
Mainstream support ends Jan 7, 2025
Extended support ends Jan 8, 2030
SQL Server 2017
Cumulative update 29 (Latest build) Released March 30, 2022
Mainstream support ends Oct 11, 2022
Extended support ends Oct 12, 2027
SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 3
Release date: September 15, 2021
Mainstream support ends Jul 13, 2021
Extended support ends Jul 14, 2026
SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 3
Cumulative update 4 Release date: Jan 12, 2021
Mainstream support ended Jul 9, 2019
Extended support ends Jul 9, 2024
Note: All other SQL Server versions not mentioned are no longer supported.
Deep Oracle and MS SQL DBA Expertise
Led by Bob Buda, one of the first-ever certified Oracle DBAs, Buda Consulting delivers unmatched experience and commitment. We’ll unleash your data’s true potential and rein in security and compliance risks.