Welcome to Database Patch News, Buda Consulting’s newsletter of current patch information for Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server. Here you’ll find information recently made available on patches—including security patches—and desupported versions.
Why should you care about patching vulnerabilities and bugs? Two big reasons:
- Unpatched systems are a top cyberattack target. Patch releases literally advertise vulnerabilities to the hacker community. The longer you wait to patch, the greater your security risk.
- Along with running a supported database version, applying the latest patches ensures that you can get support from the vendor in case of an issue. Patching also helps eliminate downtime and lost productivity associated with bugs.
Here are the latest patch updates for Oracle and SQL Server:
January, 2022 Quarterly Patch Updates:
21c – Release Update 21.5 is available (33531909 & 33497132)
19c – Release Update 19.14 is available (33509923 and 33561310)
18c – Release Update 18.14 is available (32524152 and 32552752)
12cR2 – Release Update JAN 2022 is available (33583921 and 33561275)
Regular support ends in Mar 2023 and extended support ends in Mar 2026.
12cR1 – Release Update 220118 is available (33575274 and 33561268)
Regular support ended in July 2019 and extended support ends in July 2021.
11gR4 – Patch Set Update 201020 is available (31720776)
Regular support ended in October 2018 and extended support ended December 31, 2020.
SQL Server Patches:
SQL Server 2019
- Cumulative update 14 (Latest build) Released November 22, 2021
- Mainstream support ends Jan 7, 2025
- Extended support ends Jan 8, 2030
SQL Server 2017
- Cumulative update 28 (Latest build) Released January 13, 2022
- Mainstream support ends Oct 11, 2022
- Extended support ends Oct 12, 2027
SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 3
- Release date: September 15, 2021
- Mainstream support ends Jul 13, 2021
- Extended support ends Jul 14, 2026
SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 3
- Cumulative update 4 Release date: Jan 12, 2021
- Mainstream support ended Jul 9, 2019
- Extended support ends Jul 9, 2024
Note: All other SQL Server versions not mentioned are no longer supported.
Deep Oracle and MS SQL DBA Expertise
Led by Bob Buda, one of the first-ever certified Oracle DBAs, Buda Consulting delivers unmatched experience and commitment. We’ll unleash your data’s true potential and rein in security and compliance risks.