Welcome to Database Patch News, Buda Consulting’s newsletter of current patch information for Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server. Here you’ll find information recently made available on patches—including security patches—and desupported versions.
Why should you care about patching vulnerabilities and bugs? Two big reasons:
- Unpatched systems are a top cyber attack target. Patch releases literally advertise vulnerabilities to the hacker community. The longer you wait to patch, the greater your security risk.
- Along with running a supported database version, applying the latest patches ensures that you can get support from the vendor in case of an issue. Patching also helps eliminate downtime and lost productivity associated with bugs.
Bugs and vulnerabilities exist in all aspects of an application. Here is a list of some of the bugs fixed in this current cycle of patches:
- 34246846 CLUVFY REPORTS FILES MISSING IN GRID AND DB HOME FOR 12.2 JULY 100% LABEL
- 32586040 CLUVFY Reports ‘dmu’ and ‘suptools’ Files Being Dropped From DB Home and Grid Home.
- 32963248 CVU Reports Files Missing From DB Home on 188.8.131.52.210420
- 33903505 Cluvfy Reports Files Not Being Present in DB Home and Grid Home
- 33903553 Drop Cluvfy Reports Files Not Being Present in DB Home and GRID Home
- 27416177 OCSSD Coredump at clssnmvkillblockthread
- 28677941E 191-CVU: ADD WARNING FOR /USR/LIB/TMPFILES.D/TMP.CONF
- 29476870 CSSD Process Death Does Not Cause Instant Node Death – Disables Exadata FNDD feature
- 30921995 Double Free During Voting File Deletion.
Here are the latest patch updates for Oracle and SQL Server:
Oracle Quarterly Patch Updates as of August 2022:
21c – Release Update 21.7 is available (34155589 (GI/DB) & 34113643 (JDK))
19c – Release Update 19.16 is available (34130714 (GI/DB) and 34086870 (OJVM))
18c – Release Update 18.18 is available (33878362 (GI/DB) and 33829896 (OJVM))
12cR2 – Release Update JUL 2022 is available (34219654 (GI/DB) and 34086867 (OJVM))
Regular support ends in Mar 2023 and extended support ends in Mar 2026.
12cR1 – Release Update 220719 is available (34204576 (GI/DB) and 34086863 (OJVM))
Regular support ended in July 2019 and extended support ends in July 2021.
SQL Server Patches:
SQL Server 2019
Cumulative update 17 (Latest build) Released August 11,, 2022
Mainstream support ends Jan 7, 2025
Extended support ends Jan 8, 2030
SQL Server 2017
Cumulative update 30 (Latest build) Released July 13, 2022
Mainstream support ends Oct 11, 2022
Extended support ends Oct 12, 2027
SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 3
GDR security update (KB5014355) Released June 14, 2022
Release date: September 15, 2021
Mainstream support ends Jul 13, 2021
Extended support ends Jul 14, 2026
SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 3
Cumulative update 4 + GDR (5014164) Release date: June 14, 2021
Mainstream support ended Jul 9, 2019
Extended support ends Jul 9, 2024
Note: All other SQL Server versions not mentioned are no longer supported.
Deep Oracle and MS SQL DBA Expertise
Led by Bob Buda, one of the first-ever certified Oracle DBAs, Buda Consulting delivers unmatched experience and commitment. We’ll unleash your data’s true potential and rein in security and compliance risks.